Sunday, November 3, 2013

Hamlet Essay

    In Shakespeare's Hamlet, the readers perceive young Hamlet as indecisive, with a hint of madness mixed into his character. Since the beginning of the play, Hamlet had set out on avenging his father. Although he never swore to carry out his act of revenge on Claudius, what Hamlet says and did we're completely different. His self-over hearing affects Hamlet's character in the sense of expectations.  His words are powerful to Hamlet himself and other characters such as Gertrude or the simple actor. Just as my own self-overhearing defines who I am.Self-overhearing is what we say and act on or in Hamlet's case what he says and does not act. Hamlet defines himself through his multitude of soliloquies demonstrating his inner feelings of sorrow.
   Performative utterance is demonstrated when the ghost appears before Hamlet and Hamlet swears to remember but never swears to kill his uncle Claudius. Since Hamlet did not swear on this deed, he is not bound to his word. Hamlet never pursued the act. Hamlet's words affect his actions throughout the play, since he determines how, where, and when is he going to kill his uncle. When one does not follow their own word it leads to lack of trust by others, or disappointment in one's self. When someone I know makes a promise about doing a favor for me, I hold them accountable, but if they never swear I simply cannot.
     Self-overhearing is present when Hamlet performs the many soliloquies where he speaks of him losing it, or suicidal moments. His thoughts make him believe he is delusional perhaps, mad. His words demonstrate a little madness and therefore the expectation to go mad just as everyone else describes mad or dangerous. Although his madness only derives from one of his personas like many of us have. He has one of madness, one of wit, obedience and the casual around friends. The words Hamlet said shape his way of thinking as well as my own words shape my thinking. "I'm going to type my essay before 11pm." There's an expectation now and this expectation is now intertwined with reality since I may carry out my action or choose to do the opposite.
     In Hamlet, performative utterance and self-overhearing shape Hamlet's way of thinking as well as his actions. His words are so powerful people around him believe in his madness that is seemingly true at first glance. His own words lead to his expectations and a possible reality by his own action. These are present in my life too.

No comments:

Post a Comment