Thursday, October 10, 2013

Green eggs & Hamlet

a) What do you know about Hamlet, the "Melancholy Dane"?
To be brutally honest, I have no idea about Melancholy Dane but I can assume It is about a ghost since references about Hamlet on TV and some ghost appears. Although I am unsure if it is about this specific work.
b) What do you know about Shakespeare?
I know that Shakespeare wrote a famous play such as "Romeo and Juliet" or "Julius Caesar." His work was known for using play on words. I also know that he wrote in iambic pentameter or he created some of the words used in his works.
c) Why do so many students involuntarily frown when they hear the name "Shakespeare"?
I think students frown and groan when they hear the name "Shakespeare" because the language is really difficult to understand. When something is difficult to comprehend, it brings frustration and one can end up hating the subject/matter. I know me especially, I have trouble even getting the gist of the readings due to the way words are formatted or the odd words such as thy, thou and so on, so I end up being frustrated and looking up modern versions of the text.
d) What can we do to make studying this play an amazing experience we'll never forget?
In order to make studying this play amazing, I would love to understand the themes, or the language in a simple manner. Having the definitions of the commonly used words of thine, thy, thou would be a good tool to understand and break down the sentences to contemporary English I understand. I would like to do some of the reading in class or going over the events that occurred from the previous reading that was done at home so I can be assured I did not miss any key events.

No comments:

Post a Comment