Tuesday, September 24, 2013

CANTERBURY TALES

The prologue:
-sets up scene for story to begin
-discuses the idea of the pilgrimage
-religion involved? (palmers martyrs)
- social status?

While reading:
I was able to notice the contradicting characteristics in the descriptions of characters. I thought Chaucer was simply using compliments to set up for a fault. Such as, the worthy woman was so handsome, but gap-toothed. It made me go huh?
But now knowing that he used these characters for satire, and to mock the higher social groups with a specific reputation.

Questions I have, why is Canterbury tales referred back to so much for the characters? It seems to be just making fun of the individuals who aren't what they are expected to be.

The stories I'd most like to hear about are the friar or the nun. The friar was chosen because he "knew all the taverns" when I think of taverns I think of drinking. The nun as well would be interesting to read since she had so many materialistic things when describing her, but she was "courtly kind of grace."
For the individual stories I expect them to be bizarre, the friar to be some sort of alcoholic as well with the nun who achieved all those nice items obviously not from her god.

No comments:

Post a Comment